This is going to be a massively valuable podcast for anyone in gymnastics. Specifically, those looking to get gymnasts stronger, more powerful, and more resilient against injury.
Lew Porchiazzo is the Head Strength and Conditioning Coach for Michigan Women’s Gymnastics. He has been with the team for almost a decade and has a large base of experience working with some of the sport’s highest level athletes. I wanted to have Lew on the podcast because I strongly feel Strength and Conditioning coaches are a huge source of improvement in gymnastics.
There are so many different areas of gymnastics that will improve if we just work with and involve traditional Strength Coaches in our training. This is particularly true when it comes to long term athletic development, injury risk, peaking for big performances, and getting gymnasts as strong and powerful as possible.
I think this podcast will really open people’s eyes to the benefits of gymnasts using general or “non-gymnastics” methods. We discuss
- How Lew works to add weight lifting in as one part of gymnasts programs
- How he works with the gymnastics coaches, medical staff, nutritionists, and mental skills coaches at Michigan
- Debunking the common myths with gymnasts lifting weights like athletes “getting bulky”, losing their flexibility, or getting hurt
- Lew’s favorite strength and power exercises
- How he trains high-level core strength
- The cardio workouts that he uses to get better endurance during floor and bar routines
- How he got buy-in form gymnasts, gymnastics coaches, and others when he first started
You can listen to this podcast below on iTunes, Spotify, and Stitcher or watch it on YouTube below. Hope it helps!
Inside Michigan Women’s Gymnastics Strength Program with Lew Porchiazzo
Have a great week!
Dr. Dave Tilley DPT, SCS, CSCS
CEO/Founder of SHIFT Movement Science