This week on the podcast I’m excited to talk with a licensed mental health counselor and also a nationally certified counselor Becca Grady who works with all walks of life and in particular gymnasts.
She shares her experience on mental health issues, mental blocks, coaching dynamics, and culture.
These are things that so many people struggle with and can relate to.
So how can we as coaches create an environment and better support athletes to speak up about mental blocks, not being scared to talk and knowing their coaches will listen.
Rather than; not speaking up early because of the fear of social judgment and what their teammates will think about them. We discuss:
- We discuss; how to build cultures where people can talk, communicate and express their emotions. (And that’s a good thing!).
- Why mental blocks come up and how to deal with them.
- What is the perfectionist mentality that gymnasts develop?
- How coaches and parents can help combat gymnasts with negative self-talk.
- Tools and strategies for coaches to use to foster better communication.
- The biggest war is between your own ears.
- Excellence and progress are better than perfection.
To listen to the podcast on iTunes, Spotify, or Stitcher click below:
Overcoming Mental Blocks, Perfectionism, Communication Issues, and Cultural Problems with Becca Grady
Dr. Dave Tilley DPT, SCS, CSCS
CEO/Founder of SHIFT Movement Science