This week on the podcast, we finally dive into a highly requested topic; Compulsory and Excel gymnastics.
Moving away from optional gymnastics which we have a lot of podcasts on due to lots of people wanted to learn more about that area of gymnastics.
But I think it’s really important to give the proper attention to the Compulsory Development Program, and the Excel Program as well, because there’s so many coaches, so many kids, and so many parents who have athletes in these programs that want to learn how to deal with some of the common headaches and frustrations that come in this gymnastic space.
So today on the show we have Victoria Cunningham, who owns Flight Athletics Academy in Tennessee, to talk about these programs, the common issues, and how she’s overcome them.
As well as being a gym owner, she puts out great YouTube content of her compulsory and lower levels gymnasts drills, side stations, and physical preparation.
She also does Facebook Live and YouTube Live videos which are amazing, she breaks down exactly why she does what she does and her intent behind every drill.
We had an awesome discussion and it was great to share Victoria’s perspective of being in the trenches, as she’s actively coaching but also as a gym owner.
I really think people are going to love this episode, so please do me a massive favor and support Victoria by checking out her YouTube channel, which I know everyone can learn from:
- What is the foundation of gymnastics and how to build it successfully.
- The essential things you need to cover every gymnastics session no matter how many hours you train.
- Easy ways to teach body tension and handstands to beginner gymnasts.
- How to effectively plan your time with limited hours in the gym.
- How to spot athletes when they’re really tall compared to you or don’t do a lot of hours in the gym to do physical preparation to get all the flexibility and strength they need to develop skills.
To listen to the podcast on iTunes, Spotify, or Stitcher click below:
The Compulsory and Excel Coaching Episode: Practice Tips, Tricks, and Problem Solving with Victoria Cunningham
Dr. Dave Tilley DPT, SCS, CSCS
CEO/Founder of SHIFT Movement Science