Brett Wargo is a well known, high-level gymnastics coach who has not only been a positive voice in the gymnastics community. In his current role at Ascend Gymnastics, they are a great positive example for the world of gymnastics.
Although he admits he has much more to learn, he strikes a perfect balance of reaching high performance with gymnasts but also keeping their health as a priority.
As a result, he has been able to consistently have success as defined as both athlete happiness and wellness, but also competitive performance.
I’m super grateful that the podcast has exploded in popularity in the last year. I want to make sure that I am highlighting those coaches in the community that are working hard every day to do the best they can by gymnasts.
This conversation with Brett was exactly that. We dove into the exact questions that so many gymnastics coaches have including
- What are the essential basics, shaping, and drill work coaches need to help gymnasts get skills
- How to help motivate gymnasts to do the more ‘boring’ work of basics, strength, and progressions
- Navigating the ‘grey zone’ of having high standards for gymnasts without sacrificing health
- The communication skills coaches need to keep gymnasts and parents on board
- Why “100% accountability” is the key for Brett’s coaching philosophy
and SO much more. I can’t say enough, that this is an absolute must-listen for any gymnastics coach.
Building Gymnastics Skill Basics & Drills, Motivating Athletes, and High Performing Cultures with Brett Wargo
Hope you like it! Have a great week,
Dr. Dave Tilley DPT, SCS, CSCS
CEO/Founder of SHIFT Movement Science