I’m so excited to share this episode with Paul Sargysan today, who is one of the most successful up and coming men’s coaches in the United States. I met Paul in 2018 when doing some work with the Junior National Team, and after just a few short days I could tell he was a fantastic coach.
Paul has created a program at Gymnastics Olympia USA that not only creates great humans but also provides the avenue to elite level gymnastics should the athletes want it. He has found a great balance of creating professional, caring relationships while still being able to get hard work and progress for skills.
For this reasons and more, I wanted to chat with Paul and get his experiences for other coaches to learn from. In this chat we discuss,
- How Paul got to where he is at with having such a great program
- The key things he feels young gymnasts need to learn related to values and work ethic
- The important basics, strength routines and endurance workouts he uses
- How he has the courage to make hard decisions, like pulling an athlete from high-pressure competitions if possibly injured
- How to communicate with parents and coaches in challenging times
- Building different pathways for gymnasts of all levels, ages, and ability to enjoy the sport
You can listen to the interview below on iTunes, Spotify, or Stitcher.
Paul Sargysan Discusses Elite Men’s Gymnastics Development
and Building Healthy Cultures
I hope you have a great week!
Dr. Dave Tilley DPT, SCS, CSCS
CEO/Founder of SHIFT