6 Months ago I released a pretty big e-book called “Changing Gymnastics Culture: Lessons, Reflections, and Visions for the Future”. It was 450 pages and 16 chapters, and in an effort to help the gymnastics world that is/was in quite a rough spot, I gave it away for free. I was blown away when it got over 11,000 views in 29 countries, and about 7,000+ downloads. I’m happy that I could help the sport out.
It’s clearly still evident that we are facing a massive range of problems related to culture, injuries, coaching development, and medical care. So, I wanted to find a way to make people get access to better information even easier.
The book essentially outlined every thought that I had related to gymnastics flexibility, strength, and cardio, nutrition, medical injuries, or coaching culture. I got some feedback that the book was a bit too large/overwhelming to handle in one piece. I completely understand that, and at the time I just needed to get the thing finished and released to help people.
However, in an effort to help people in gymnastics with more directed topics, I took the time to break the book up into individual book chapters. They are much smaller PDFs with directed topics.
If you have issues with flexibility, Chapter 7 should help you out. If you want to know how to deal with a common injury in a gymnast as a medical provider, Chapter 12 has all the ways I work with gymnasts for rehabilitation. If you want to understand gymnastics nutrition or recovery, Chapters 9 and 10 will help you out.
I want people to have every single tool they need to build the future of gymnastics. One that helps athletes train hard, reach their goals, and gain value from the sport without sacrificing physical or mental health. All it takes on your end is time set aside to read, learn, and implement some new ideas.
Whether you are a medical provider, gymnastics coach, parent, strength coach, or support staff, there is something inside this book for the problems you are facing. Here is each chapter, followed by a place where you can enter your email to get the chapter sent directly to your inbox, for free. I hope it helps!
- Cutting edge soft tissue, strength, and active flexibility techniques for splits, handstands, and shapes
- Practical traditional stretching methods combined with latest scientific research
- Techniques for increasing flexibility, and making changes transfer to gymnastics skills
The Gymnastics Strength
and Power Guide
- Methods and exercises for increasing strength and power in gymnasts
- Explanations on why gymnasts should use both weight lifting and body weight strength
- Teaches concepts of planning, specific sets or reps, and planning for the competitive year
- Outlines the why and how for training cardio in gymnastics
- Explains the basic energy systems, how to train them, and why it's crucial to prepare gymnasts for routines
- Gives sample workouts for summer, fall and in season to use
The SHIFT Gymnastics Nutrition E-Book
- Understand the basics of nutrition, and why "Fueling for Performance" is an essential mindset
- Learn how the quality and quantity of nutritional intake must be taught to gymnasts
- Learn to prevent the dangers of poor fueling habits
- Learn why sleep, time, nutrition, hydration, soft tissue care, and managing stress is essential to high performance and health
- Get specific tips on how to enhance recovery in gymnastics
- Understand the science behind recovery practices for developing athletes
The Gymnastics Medical Injuries Guide
- Understand the most common injuries in male and female gymnastics, why they occur, and how to prevent them
- Read about the most current science on injuries and rehabilitation in gymnastics
- Get tips on the latest injury risk reduction and rehabilitation practices
The Gymnastics Professional Team Guide
- Understand why gymnastics must move to a team based, collaborative model
- Learn who should be on the team of gymnastics professionals to optimize performance and health
- Get tips for working together, communication, and program design
The Gymnastics Longevity Guide
- Learn how to help gymnasts have longer, healthier, and more successful careers
- Understand why early specialization and long term athletic development are keys to success in gymnastics
- Learn practical ways to help gymnasts reach their short term and long term goals
The Gymnastics Stress Neuroendocrinology E-Book
- Understand the role of physical, mental, and emotional stress in young gymnasts
- Learn how role modeling, proper work loads, and healthy training environments help manage stress
- Get tips from the latest science on how to properly manage stress in young athletes
Hope it helps, and have a great week!
Dr. Dave Tilley DPT, SCS, CSCS
CEO/Founder of SHIFT Movement Science