This week on the podcast I am very excited to share with you an amazing conversation I had with two friends Dr. Altamash and Dr. Darsh, who are D.O. and host of their own podcast Medicine Redefined, which they invited me to come on and talk about a variety of topics.
This is part one of two podcasts. In this first part, we really dig into the gymnastic stuff they were curious about, such as gymnastics culture, Simone Biles Olympics, and what it means in terms of mental health and how that impacts other athletes.
We talk a lot about gymnastics in terms of the cultural upheaval that’s happening and what the trickle-down effect is for people changing the way. How they are interacting with athletes and interact with their own coaching lives.
I talked quite a bit about my own experiences with gymnastics and how the sport is changing with the way we treat injuries, strength conditioning, and gymnasts lifting weights.
Part two, which will come out next week, we dive much more into the medical side of things where we talk about treating athletes and how things have changed since the fall out of the scandal, and what that means for our culture in terms of how we interact with athletes in the medical care.
- Why is puberty still not normalized in the sport of gymnastics?
- My thoughts on Simone Biles Olympics and the impact it has had on our sport.
- At what age should you start talking about mental health with athletes and what type of exercises to use to develop mental toughness.
- Why the age of entry into the sport is not the biggest determinant of who does well, long term.
- How is the culture of gymnastics, now improving.
To listen to the podcast on iTunes, Spotify, or Stitcher click below:
The Current State of Gymnastics Culture and Changes Ahead
Hope it helps!
Dr. Dave Tilley DPT, SCS, CSCS
CEO/Founder of SHIFT Movement Science