Hey everyone! Last month I was very thankful for the opportunity to be interviewed on The Routine Podcast with their hosts, Dianna and Chelcie. Originally, this podcast was going to center around the high rate of Achilles tears in collegiate/elite gymnastics.
However, just before the interview date I released my new gymnastics ebook “Changing Gymnastics Culture” (find it for free download here). Due to this, the conversation steered way more into the current problems gymnastics faces related to culture, and some of the “800 pound gorillas” in the room everyone in our sport needs to talk about. That was a pretty epic conversation.
After that chat, we did get on to my thoughts topics like
- The extremely high rates of Achilles tears, lower back pain, and shoulder pain in gymnastics, and tips to help.
- How individual self-reflection and personal development sets the stage for elite level gymnastics cultures
- The main highlights of the new book sections on personal development, specific training principles, and general training principles
- Why so many gymnasts won’t speak up about injuries before its too late, and how to help
- Lessons I have learned in the last 5 years of being a dual coach, medical provider, and educator and how it lead me to write the book during our current time of crisis in gymnastics
You can now check out the entire interview for free here,
Hope you find it helpful!
Dave Tilley DPT, SCS, CSCS
CEO/Founder of SHIFT Movement Science