Exactly How To Increase Hip/Shoulder Flexibility for Gymnasts and Create Effective Cardio Circuits
This week on the podcast I am very excited to have on coach Shay, who won the competition we held alongside the launch of the Peak Gymnastics Power course.
Which included a free consultation with me to chat, ask any questions and help with anything from culture, flexibility, strength, etc.
It ended up being an awesome talk, where we discussed how to help athletes get more flexibility in their shoulders, making sure and knowing how to screen athletes, giving them the correct exercises that are specific to their individual issues.
How to get better active flexibility and full 180 degrees in their leaps and jumps, but knowing that kids who need more passive flexibility that don’t have their splits down need to work on different things to the kids who have splits flat on the floor but they just don’t hit their angles when they do their skills.
Shay was also very curious about helping athletes get through their routine, she explains the girls are working hard but they just can’t quite make a full floor routine or a full bar routine.
They seem to get gassed out and lose their energy.
So we talked about cardio and energy systems training to improve gymnast’s stamina in floor and bar routines.
I share my screen and we write and build a new program together for her athletes from scratch.
I’m very grateful that she won the random draw because she sounds like she’s doing an amazing job in Australia with their kids. We discuss:
- How to screen athlete’s shoulders to identify the specific issue that’s causing them to struggle with shoulder mobility.
- The best exercises to do to improve shoulder flexibility in each of the different issues that the gymnast may have.
- How strength can improve flexibility.
- The split complexes you need to get your athletes splits flat.
- How to create a cardio program for preseason and the offseason.
- Bardio! It’s cardio but specifically to improve upper body endurance and stamina for bars.
To listen to the podcast on iTunes, Spotify, or Stitcher click below:
Increase Hip/Shoulder Flexibility for Gymnasts and Creating Effective Cardio Circuits
Hope it helps!
Dr. Dave Tilley DPT, SCS, CSCS
CEO/Founder of SHIFT Movement Science