Hello! I hope you are doing well and staying safe during the ongoing coronavirus situation.
Today, I wanted to help people get their minds off things and offer an amazing podcast I recorded with Olympic Men’s Gymnastics Coach, Tom Meadows. Tom joined me last year discussing how to safely and effectively build high performing male gymnasts (find that episode here) and it was one of the most highly recorded podcasts to date. So, I asked him to come back on and dig into some technical areas that people really want help with.
In this episode, we dive deep into parallel bar skills, and more specifically the peach basket. We discuss,
- Why the peach is so crucial for young male gymnasts to learn
- Toms favorite drill and skill progressions
- How he develops grip strength with his athletes
- His go-to strength and physical preparation exercises
- When he spots, and when he doesn’t
- Developing basic peach progressions for young gymnasts
- Developing the middle-level peach progressions like peach handstands
- How he teaches ‘hybrid’ drop technique
And much more! You can find the full episode below on iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify, and Youtube.
Hope you find it helpful! Stay safe,
Dr. Dave Tilley DPT, SCS, CSCS
CEO/Founder of SHIFT Movement Science