Today on the podcast a second quick appearance, due to popular demand, my friend and co-worker from Champion Physical Therapy and Performance Diwesh Poudyal.
Head of Strength and Conditioning and Director of Fitness working with athletes every day, single-handedly programming for all the NCAA gymnasts, Division One to Three, and Elite gymnasts that we work with at our facility and have super high level, national team, and Olympic caliber goals.
All the way down to athletes who just want to have fun.
We’re back because the sprinting podcast was super popular and we’ve been doing a lot of work behind the scenes to develop some resources that people I think are gonna be very excited to learn from and dispelling some of these myths about gymnast lifting weights.
Eight years ago, when I first started my PT career and coaching career, the idea of a gymnast lifting weight was completely laughable, nobody even entertained the idea.
Five years ago, we started our summer performance program, there was minimal attention and maybe three or four people came because ‘My coaches don’t want me to come, my parents think I’m going to get bulky or I’m going to get hurt or lose flexibility. But that’s just not true.
So flash forward to now and we have consistently a ton of NCAA gymnasts, Elite Gym’s working out with us, and a ton of people who travel and ask us to help build them a program because they’ve believe in it. They want to lift weights and unlock the performance benefits. We discuss:
- Why strength training is so beneficial and the performance benefits you will get if you sprinkle it into your offseason.
- At what age should gymnasts start lifting?
- Why having a general fitness base and more movement variability throughout the year helps with injury reduction.
- What makes a well-rounded potential athlete? Filling in the gaps of what athletes are not getting in their gymnastics training.
- How many times should you strength train per week? What goes into a program? What movements do you do? Where do you start!?!
- Equipment you should INVEST in when starting strength training on a budget.
- How to make strength training fun.
“The more robust a human body is, the more resilient we are.”
To listen to the podcast on iTunes, Spotify, or Stitcher click below:
Table of Contents
How To Build Explosive Power in Gymnasts with Diwesh Poudyal
Peak Gymnastics Power
Exactly How To Build Explosive Power in Gymnasts
Now Available for Public Enrollment
Hope it helps!
Dr. Dave Tilley DPT, SCS, CSCS
CEO/Founder of SHIFT Movement Science