Today on the podcast I am very excited to bring on Tiz Clive a wonderful gymnastics coach and strength coach from Canada who believes in gymnast longevity and increase performance using weight training.
Tiz is a fantastic example of what can be done when you embrace the hybrid model of lifting and traditional gymnastics strength work.
I invited her on to talk about how she learned about weight training and what she thinks are the most valuable exercises for gymnasts to be doing.
So if you want to start implementing weight training this is a guide on exactly how to do so.
- How to find the balance between lifting and traditional gymnastic strength.
- What does a typical lifting session look like in the offseason and preseason?
- How many sets and reps should you do?
- What age should gymnasts be to start lifting?
- Will gymnasts get bulky lifting weights?
- Three weighted leg exercises that are better than squats.
- Core exercises that are more effective than leg lifts.
- Accessory and maintenance care work you don’t want to miss out on. And…
- Advice for coaches who want to implement weight training.
Increasing Gymnastics Power by Changing Culture Around Lifting Weights with Tiz Clive
Hope it helps!
Dr. Dave Tilley DPT, SCS, CSCS
CEO/Founder of SHIFT Movement Science